I Count - the campaign of the Stop Climate Chaos coalition - is proud to announce a partnership with LIVE EARTH UK, who today unveiled a spectacular line up of seventeen headliners who will perform at Wembley Stadium on July 7th 2007.
LIVE EARTH UK is part of a string of 24-hour, 7-continent Live Earth concerts on 7/7/07 raising awareness on climate change. The huge multi event is being organised by Live Earth Founder and Executive Producer Kevin Wall (LIVE8 producer), and is co-chaired by Vice President Al Gore.
The I Count campaign launched last year at a mass event attended by 25,000 people in Trafalgar Square on Saturday 4th November 2006 who demanded action on the eve of global climate change talks in Nairobi. Individuals are encouraged to sign up to the campaign (www.icount.org.uk and 84424).
“The I Count campaign involves a growing body of organisations with a combined supporter base of 4 million in the UK, who are passionate about individual and political action on change. We are therefore enormously excited to be partnering with LIVE EARTH and look forward to catalysing the interest and support this event will undoubtedly create into a popular mandate for Government action ”.
Ashok Sinha, Director, Stop Climate Chaos
LIVE EARTH will bring together more than 2 billion people to combat the climate crisis. Concerts will be staged in the US (venues to be announced shortly), at Sydney’s Aussie Stadium; Rio de Janeiro’s Copacabana Beach; Johannesburg’s Cradle of Human Kind; Tokyo’s Tokyo Stadium and the Steps of the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai.
Live Earth’s 24 hours of music across 7 continents will deliver a call to action and the solutions needed to answer the call. Live Earth marks the beginning of a multi-year campaign to move individuals, corporations and governments to take action.
Other organisations partnering with LIVE EARTH are The Climate Group, MSN, Smart Car, Stonyfield Farm, and The Alliance for Climate Protection founded by Al Gore. In addition to creating corporate efforts to combat global warming, a wide group of partners ensures a mass audience for Live Earth is reached.
Exclusive online media partner MSN is helping Live Earth reach people in every corner of the globe. The concerts will be streamed live on 7/7/07 at LiveEarth.MSN.com. MSN’s 39 localized web portals worldwide attract 465 million monthly users. The concerts will be broadcast on the BBC in the UK and on more than 120 networks around the world.
Tickets will be allocated by ballot as high demand is expected with registration starting at midday on Friday, April 13 on www.livenation.co.uk/liveearth. Lucky applicants will be notified on 18th April. All tickets cost £55 each and all proceeds will benefit the Alliance for Climate Protection and other international NGOs. Live on stage in London will be:
BEASTIE BOYS, BLACK EYED PEAS, JAMES BLUNT, BLOC PARTY, CORINE BAILEY RAE, DAMIEN RICE, DAVID GRAY, DURAN DURAN, FOO FIGHTERS, KEANE, JOHN LEGEND, MADONNA, PAOLO NUTINI, RAZORLIGHT, RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS, SNOW PATROL (additional performers will be announced at a future date)
Notes to Editors:
1. STOP CLIMATE CHAOS COALITION - I COUNT CAMPAIGN
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 0207729 8732 Mob: 07967 698928
2. SCC members include: Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, Oxfam, People & Planet, National Federation of Women’s Institutes, RSPB, Tearfund, World Wide Fund for Nature - UK (Board members), A Rocha, ACTSA, Action Aid, Airport Watch, BMS World Mission, CAFOD, Campaign against Climate Change, Campaign to Protect Rural England, Carplus, Climate Outreach and Information Network, Come off It, Christian Aid, Ethical Consumer, Ethical Jobs, From Greenhouse to Green House, Garden Organic, Glasgow Eco-Renovation Network, Global Student Forum, Green TV, Islamic Foundation for Ecology and Environmental Science, Islamic Relief, Medact, National Commission for Justice and Peace, The National Trust for Scotland, Operation Noah, Plan B, Practical Action, Road Block, SAOCC, Save our World, SCIAF (Scottish Action on Climate Change), Shared Energy, SPEAK, Spokes, Surfers Against Sewage, Sustrans, Take Global Warming Seriously, The Wildlife Trusts, Transport 2000, UNA, Unison, Women's Environmental Network, Woodland Trust, World Development Movement, Youth Against Climate Change
3. The I Count Campaign calls on the UK government to provide:
• action internationally: ensure that global greenhouse gas emissions are irreversibly declining by 2015
• action for justice: deliver assistance to developing countries to adapt to climate change and give access to clean energy to meet their developmental needs
• action in the UK: introduce a Climate Bill to deliver an annual ‘Carbon Budget’ which will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by at least 3% per year
4. LI VE EARTH CONTACTS
Press: Bernard Doherty, LD Communications, London 44 (0)207 439 7222
TV/Radio: Maria Barham, LD Communications, London 44 (0)207 439 7222
Media Enquiries: [email protected]
Live Earth International Concerts: Toby Burnham, Freud Communications
/ +44 207 291 6383 / +44 7990 555 290 / [email protected]
Live Earth HQ: Yusef K. Robb, 323-384-1789 / [email protected]
5. Free Registration for tickets opens at midday on FRIDAY, 13 APRIL 2007 and Live Earth ticket applicants are asked to register their details at: www.livenation.co.uk/liveearth
Registration opens from midday on Friday 13th April until Monday 16th April at midday. If your application is successful you will be notified how to buy your tickets on Wednesday, 18 April. ALL TICKETS FOR LONDON WILL BE PRICED AT £55 EACH
For ticket information, please visit LiveEarth.MSN.com. All proceeds will benefit the Alliance for Climate Protection and other international NGOs.